Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple (By Karen Cushman)

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple is a story I read for school. It takes place from 1849-1852. I would give it 8 1/2 stars out of 10. (I think I may need to add more stars I can give!) This is how the back of the book summarizes it:




Dear Gram and Grampop,

Please do not address yours truly as California anymore, California Morning Whipple being a foolish name for a duck much less a girl. I call myself Lucy now. I cannot hate California and be California. I know you will understand.
 

 
California doesn't suit Lucy Whipple- not the name, not the place. So Lucy vows to be plain miserable until she can hightail it back to the East where she belongs. But Lucy California Morning Whipple may be in for a surprise- because home is a lot closer than she thinks.

This is how I'd describe it:

California Whipple is moving to California with her family- and is not happy about it. She decides to change her name to Lucy. She is determined to get back to the East, with or without her family.

I would recommend this book to a friend.

Enjoy reading it!

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple (1996)- By Karen Cushman

http://www.amazon.com/Ballad-Lucy-Whipple-Karen-Cushman/dp/B004QPZQ54/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369763636&sr=1-5&keywords=the+ballad+of+lucy+whipple

No comments:

Post a Comment