Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dear America: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley: I Walk in Dread, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691 (By Lisa Rowe Fraustino)


This is a book I read for school. That's because I finished The Witch of Blackbird Pond before I finished Social Studies. I would give it 8 stars. I recommend it for ages 9-12. This is how the back cover summarizes it:

 "My name is Deliverance. This is my story....
 Deliverance Trembley lives in Salem Village, where she must take care of her sickly sister, Mem, and finish her daily chores to avoid the wrath of her cruel uncle. But after four young girls from the village accuse some of the local women of being witches, the town becomes caught up in a witch hunt. When the villagers realize that Deliverance is a clever girl who possesses the skills to read and write, whispered accusations begin. Suddenly, Deliverance has more to worry about than just her uncle's temper, her ill sister, and the fate of the other women in town. Within the pages of her diary, Deliverance captures the panic, terror, suspicion, and hysteria that swept through Salem Village during one of the most infamous eras in American history."

 I will describe it because it's for school:
 Deliverance lives with her uncle and sister in the village of Salem. She is friends with Goody Corey. When 4 girls start saying they know who's witches, many people are accused. Including Goody Corey. Deliverance knows there are no such things as witches, but if she tells that, she will be accused. Can she help save her friends and family?

 I hope you like the book!

Dear America: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley: I Walk in Dread, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691 (2004)- By Lisa Rowe Fraustino

Picture from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Dear-America-I-Walk-Dread/dp/0545311659/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361986236&sr=8-2&keywords=the+diary+of+deliverance+trembley

1 comment:

  1. Jaina, can you tell me more about the time period / colonies based on what you read? Thanks and good job!

    ReplyDelete