Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Trio of Book Reviews- The Books of Ember (By Jeanne DuPrau)

 I've started my Story Starters, and now I think I should start reviewing books. In my last post, I hinted that I would be doing a trio of books this time. And, as I said in my title- I'm reviewing the 1st 3 books of Ember.
 The 1st book, The City of Ember, I would give 9 out of 10 stars. I will be reviewing everything out of 10 stars. (Although, I do admit, some may get 11!) Anyway, the main characters in The City of Ember are named Lina and Doon. Looking through the book now, I see they are 12 years old. Since I don't want to give too much away, I'll record what the back says:
 "Citizens of Ember shall be assigned work at twelve years of age...
 Lina Mayfleet desperately wants to be a messenger. Instead, she draws the dreaded job of Pipeworks laborer, which means she'll be working in damp tunnels deep underground.
 Doon Harrow draws messenger- and asks Lina to trade! Doon wants to be underground. That's where the generator is, and Doon has ideas about how to fix it. For as long as anyone can remember, the great lights of Ember have kept the endless darkness at bay. But now the lights are beginning to flicker..."
 Following two-hundred year old instructions, Lina and Doon try to save the city of Ember. Unfortunately, Lina's younger sister has eaten holes in them! Lina and Doon will have to use their puzzle-solving skills to save Ember from darkness. I wish I could tell you more, but you'll just have to read the book to find out!

 The 2nd book, The People of Sparks, I would give 7 stars. Again, the book is about Lina and Doon. It's a continuation of The City of Ember, meaning it starts where the 1st book left off. Also again, I'll start with stating the back (but I will take part of it out as not to ruin the 1st book):
 "'It is green here and very big. Light comes from the sky...'
 When Lina and Doon lead their people __ from the ___________ city of Ember, They discover a _______ world of color and life. The people of a small village called Sparks agree to help the Emberites, but the villagers have never had to share their world before. Soon differences between the two groups escalate, and it's up to Lina and Doon to avoid war!" (Well that's the part telling about the novel.)
 The People of Sparks is about 2 cities struggling to survive. When Ember arrives at Sparks, Sparks generously allows them to stay until winter. But small differences make a big problem between the 2 towns, and with Lina away and Doon following a power-hungry boy, both towns feel the other is full of bad people. Lina and Doon will have to fix everything before it's too late for both towns! Again, you'll have to read to find out more!

 The 3rd book is a prequel called The Prophet of Yonwood. I would give it 8 1/2 stars. The main characters are 11-year-old Nickie, 13-year-old Grover, and Nickie's dog, Otis. As I have been doing, I'll write the back of the book down:
 "War looms on the horizon as eleven-year-old Nickie and her aunt travel to the small town of Yonwood, North Carolina. There, one of the town's respected citizens has had a terrible vision of fire and destruction. As the people of Yonwood scramble to make sense of the woman's mysterious utterances, Nickie explores the oddities she finds around town, while keeping an eye out for ways to help the world. Is this vision her chance? Or is it already too late to avoid a devastating war?" (Again, that's the only part telling about the story."
 The Prophet of Yonwood is about a city, and a world, struggling to avoid war. Meanwhile, Nickie has other problems. She's trying to do the right thing, keep a house, hide a dog, fall in love (?), and keep a friend. She and Grover will be struggling to prove what the right thing is.

 I have not read the 4th book- The Diamond of Darkhold. When I do, I will make a post about it!

I hope you agree- this is a great trio of books!

The City of Ember (2003), The People of Sparks (2004), The Prophet of Yonwood (2006)- By Jeanne DuPrau

2 comments:

  1. Great review Jaina! It sounds like you are enjoying the series. Why did you like the first book the best? Who or what ages would you recommend this book to? Good job! I can't wait to read your next review.
    Love,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it best because it's different from the other books (the others are about war), and it's a little like a puzzle (because of The Instructions). Oh yeah, they made it into a movie. (But that's not one of my reasons!) It's called City of Ember. I would recommend it to ages 9-12. But then again, there are some books you like so much, you'll just read them over and over again, even if the age level seems lower than yours. :)
      Love,
      Jaina

      Delete